The Coliseum Central Annual Meeting will take place virtually on Tuesday, February 22 at 9AM. The meeting will provide a review of the previous year, status reports from key constituents, and a look at the year ahead.
RSVP By February 4
If you work, conduct business, own property or have another vested interest in Coliseum Central, we encourage you to attend! This event is free and open to all members of the BID. Click here to RSVP no later than Friday, February 4.
You know that employees are critical to the success of your business. However, you may not realize that retention starts with the hiring process and continues through their tenure. This presentation will explore:
- The importance of hiring the right employees (and tips on how to do so)
- Top five reasons employees stay (and leave)
- The cost of employee turnover
- What matters to employees (with practical ideas to get them to stick around)
Events & Entertainment
Mid-Atlantic Quilt Festival
The largest quilt festival on the Eastern Seaboard returns to the Hampton Roads Convention Center (1610 Coliseum Drive) February 24-27. The 33rd annual Mid-Atlantic Quilt Festival features everything for quilt, fiber, wearable & textile artists, and home sewers. In addition, festival-goers will be treated to the finest collection of quilt, garment, and fiber art exhibitions including quilt and wearable art prize money competitions. Rounding out the event will be workshops and lectures presented by leading instructors along with demonstrations throughout the Merchants Mall.
At this time, face masks will be required at the 2022 Mid-Atlantic Quilt Festival. Click here for more information about the Festival’s COVID-19 protocols. For more information about the event, click here.
Promote Your Event
Add your events to the Coliseum Central website calendar! Click here and complete the form with the details of your event; an event photo may also be added. Once submitted, events will be published on the site calendar within one business day.
National Blood Crisis
The Red Cross is experiencing the worst blood shortage in over a decade, posing a concerning risk to patient care. The Red Cross, which supplies 40% of the nation’s blood supply, has had to limit blood product distributions to hospitals as a result of the shortage. Without adequate donations, medical professionals will forced to determine who does and does not receive blood transfusions.
Your blood or platelet donation is urgently needed. Make an appointment as soon as possible by using the Red Cross Blood Donor App, visiting RedCrossBlood.org or calling 1-800-RED CROSS (1-800-733-2767).
Small Business Workshop
“Small Business Academy: The Steps to Mastering Your Business” takes place Monday, February 7 from 10AM-12PM in the Ruppert Sargent Building. Guest speaker Tony DiSilvestro, Owner/Founder of YNot Italian Franchise will discuss topics including:
- Scaling Your Business vs Business Growth
- Building a Great Team
- Business Coaching
This workshop is FREE and open to all small businesses. Seating is limited and registration is required. For more information or to register, click here.
Sentara Art Display
The Hampton City Schools Visual and Performing Arts Department has partnered with Sentara Careplex to contribute to their first-ever art display. Students from multiple grade levels submitted 16 works. The student artwork is on exhibition at Sentara Careplex (3000 Coliseum Drive) through March.
Click here to see a list of the students whose artwork is included in the exhibit.
Upcoming Blood Drives
February 9 & 23
Coastal Virginia Chapter
1323 W. Pembroke Ave.
YMCA Health & Wellness Center
4001 Coliseum Drive
As a member of Coliseum Central, your business is eligible for the following business incentives which are in place to improve safety and curb appeal. If one of the following grant programs could be of assistance to your organization, please click here to download an application or contact the Coliseum Central office at (757) 826-6351.
The Defibrillator Grant provides funding for the purchase of an Automatic External Defibrillator (AED). Eligible businesses can request 50% in matching funds from Coliseum Central, up to a maximum of $1,000, for the cost of the AED.
- The Defibrillator Grant provides funding for the purchase of an Automatic External Defibrillator (AED). Eligible businesses can request 50% in matching funds from Coliseum Central, up to a maximum of $1,000, for the cost of the AED.
- The Physical Improvement Grant provides matching funds of up to $10,000 to business owners who seek to improve the exterior appearance of their property. Funds may be used for façade, landscaping and/or public beautification. Applicants must submit a plan for façade and streetscape improvements containing a description and illustration of planned improvements and an itemized budget, including design, installation and fabrication costs. Free professional design consultation is provided to approved applicants of the grant program.
- The Security Improvement Grant matches up to $2,500 of exterior improvements to enhance the level of security and safety of business or public spaces. A Crime Prevention Through Environ-mental Design (CPTED) survey must be conducted by the Hampton Police Division Community Relations (727-6574) to be eligible for funding.
- The Security Camera Grant provides matching funds to be used for the purchase and installation of Security Cameras to a business or property which will be connected to the Hampton Police Division’s Real Time Information Center (RTIC).
FREE Business Page
Did you know coliseumcentral.com has a free, individual webpage for each District business? Each page can list a description, address, phone number, website and social links, photo, hours of operation and Google map. Click here to view your current business page. To submit or update your business information, click here.